Biatorbágy Tour: from the Viaduct to the "Grand Canyon"
The first stop on our journey is the infamous viaduct, now an industrial monument, where we will take a look around and then follow the yellow sign to other viewpoints. On “Mount” Iharos, we will visit the now abandoned base of the 11/11 anti-aircraft missile division that operated there until 1996. Followed by the Nyakas-kő and Madár-szirt, which remind some people of the Grand Canyon.
Leaving the final high-altitude point, the Szily-kápolna, we end our hike at the Kemenes Café near the viaduct (and the bus stop).
Date: Friday, 25 March 2022
Registration is required. Follow the link to register.
Meeting: Budapest, Kelenföld Bus Station, main building, 9:10-9:30. The assembly point is also accessible by metro (M4) and tram (1, 19, 49). There is a public pay toilet next to the ticket office.
Bus 760 leaves at 9:40 a.m. and will take you to the Meggyes utca stop in Biatorbágy (local people can also join the bus there at 10:10 a.m., but please notify us in advance.) The ticket, which costs 370 HUF in total, must be bought at the main building ticket office or from a ticket machine in advance. No tickets can be bought on the bus! (Those who have a Budapest pass only need to buy tickets for the bus beyond the administrative borders of the city.) The bus ride only takes 30 minutes, so the tour starts at 10:10.
Careful: if you miss the departure, you will not be able to join us later!
Distance and difficulty: 3,5-4 hours depending on the number of stops we make, and we expect to arrive back to Budapest Kelenföld between 15:00-15:30.
The distance is only 13 km, the highest point is 334 m, the walking time is 3.5-4 hours at a leisurely pace, and there are no difficult sections along the route.
Check out the map here.
Points of interest (in brackets the hiking sign to be followed: S stands for “yellow”, P for “red”):
- Biatorbágy viaduct (S-)
- Kő-hegy Kő-orr, Hármas-szikla / rocks and cliffs (S-)
- “Mount” Iharos (a hill) with the former anti-aircraft missile base
- Híd / bridge (ruin) (P-)
- Nyakas-kő, Madár-szirt / rocks and cliffs (P)
- Szily-kápolna / chapel (P)
- Kemenes Café and Bistro
Eat & drink: There is a shop and a café at the start and finish lines of the “race”. You will get hungry in the fresh air, so bring snacks and water with you.
- Toilets are available at the bus station in Kelenföld and at the café at the end point, in between only the woods.
- Please have a plastic bag with you for your trash.
- Comfortable, well-supporting shoes are highly recommended. No steep terrain.
- The brave may bring a headlamp to visit the airbase.
You may wish to check out the following links as well:
- Anti-aircraft missile division (HUN)
- “Grand Canyon” tour (HUN) (with lovely pictures)
- Around Kő-hegy – tour (HUN) (with lovely pictures)
Reports on previous hikes of the GTK Hiking Club are available here.