Summer University Course

Jasmina Sazvodska


This is a 100-level introductory course with no prerequisites.

Course description

The course introduces students to the basics of business communication channels, barriers and genres. Apart from covering the fundamentals of verbal and non-verbal interaction, the practical aspects of the course focus on developing skills for effective written and oral communication in business contexts. The principles and forms of organizational communication will be practiced through workshop activities, role-plays and simulations. 


  • Internal and external corporate communication
  • Verbal and non-verbal communication
  • Barriers to communication 
  • Communication strategies 
  • Business presentations and elevator pitches
  • Meetings and negotiations
  • Business correspondence and email
  • Reports and proposals

Learning outcomes

  • identify and overcome various types of communication barriers
  • write, edit and proofread business correspondence and email
  • create and structure business proposals 
  • plan and conduct business meetings and negotiations
  • identify BATNA and ZOPA
  • prepare, structure and deliver short business presentations


Students planning to obtain ECTS credits for the course will need to complete a negotiation role-play worth 60% of the grade. The remaining 40% will be based on in-class activity and participation.

Reading materials

Blundel, R., Ippolito, K. and Donnarumma, D. (2013). Effective organisational communication: perspectives, principles and practices. 4th ed. Harlow: Pearson.

Jasmina Sazdovska is an assistant professor at the Department of English Language Pedagogy at Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest. Having completed part of her education in London, she obtained her PhD on the topic of business presentations at Eötvös Loránd University. Apart from teaching courses on business communication in Hungary, she has held corporate trainings and been an Erasmus exchange teacher in Nicosia, Lisbon and Bologna.